Mold and Your Health:

Because molds produce allergens and irritants, it is common for exposed individuals to experience:

  • Hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, a runny nose and red eyes
  • Skin rash
  • Irritated eyes, nose, throat and lungs
However, numerous molds --commonly called "toxic mold"-- also produce poisonous substances, primarily associated with their spores, called mycotoxins (mycology is the branch of botany dealing with fungi). Disruptive to our cell structures and cell processes, these toxins have the potential to cause serious harm. Their effects to the human body have been documented using controlled, laboratory conditions. In our everyday indoor environment there is less certainty of symptoms causality, but it is important to note that mycotoxins were proven to be present indoors with victims suffering from:

  • Pulmonary hemorrhage or pulmonary hemosiderosis (primarily in infants)
  • Nose bleed
  • Immune system suppression (resulting in increasing numbers of infections)
  • Hair loss
  • Dermatitis
  • Chronic fatigue
  • Psychological depression
  • Diarrhea
  • Sore throat
  • Headache and other flu-like symptoms


Other symptoms associated with mold include:


  • Cognitive disorder
  • Burning eyes
  • Blurred vision
  • Respiratory illness
  • Chest pain
  • Chest tightness
  • Breathing problems
  • Shortness of breath
  • Wheezing
  • Dry cough
  • Nasal congestion
  • Aggravated asthma